Koganecho Bazaar 2012 Artist in Residence Program Call for Foreign Artist Participation
“Koganecho Bazaar” is an art festival hosted by the Koganecho Management Center, an NPO that uses art to revitalize the Yokohama City Naka Ward Koganecho urban area. With the city’s everyday spaces as a stage, the festival has been held every autumn since 2008, and to present organizers have invited a total of 90 groups of artists, curators, and architects from Japan and abroad. With an organization plan that considers creation to presentation as a consecutive process, the festival examines current issues raised by contemporary art.
The Theme for Koganecho Bazaar 2012 is “revisit”. Based on practical experience building the frameworks of culture and economic activity that connect to the future prosperity of the Koganecho area, the organizors propose the keyword “revisit,”which includes such meanings as revisiting a place, reinvestigating a problem or plan, re‐experiencing an event and facilitating future visits. Within this context, art may be provisionally considered as things that create new relationships between individual people and between individuals and society. By carrying out proposals from a cross‐section of artistic fields in a coordinated exhibition, art is used to respond to issues faced by the city.
Details of Call for Participation
The organizers are accepting proposals based on the aforementioned theme. Proposals for creative work in any genre may be submitted, but standards for screening are the ability to stay at least 30 days or longer in Koganecho (preference goes to artists who can stay a period of around 60 days), an effective use of facilities provided by the organizers, and a high availability to the public audience. Furthermore, proposed plans must be previously unexhibited, original works.
Creative Period of Residency: August 1 (Wed), 2012 to October 18 (Thr), 2012; Depending on the details of the proposal, the actual period of creation is flexible, but must include a minimum 30 day stay in Koganecho. The artist is required to realize proposed plans for creation and implementation by the opening of the exhibition.
Exhibition Period: October 19 (Fri), 2012 to December 16 (Sun), 2012
Number of Residencies Available: 6 Residencies; Depending on the results of the selection process, the actual number selected may be more or less than the foreseen number.
- Applicants must not have Japanese citizenship and may not be residing in Japan.
- Applicants must be able to stay for more than 30 days in Koganecho within the project schedule. Preference goes to artists who can stay 60 days or more.
- Applicants must be self‐sufficient and independent workers prepared to take on the entire creative process and adjusting to daily life in a new setting.
- Applicants must without exception exhibit the results of their creative work at the Koganecho Bazaar.
- Applicants must strictly observe the schedule for creation, exhibition, and removal below (see section 4).
- Applicants must work with the Koganecho office to engage in outreach programs such as artist talks, lectures, workshops, or school visits within the project duration.
- Applicants must be able to explain their work in either English, Korean, or Japanese and must be able to understand English at the level of daily conversation.
- Applicants will be required to present a report on this project in either their own country or a country other than Japan after the end of the Koganecho residency.
Application Acceptance Period: Tuesday, May 1, 2012 to Wednesday, June 6, 2012 (Applications must arrive in the office by this date.)
More information and application materials: http://www.koganecho.net/bazaar/
Koganecho Area Management Center
TEL: +81‐45‐261‐5467 / FAX: +81‐45‐325‐7222